20 July 2006

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

Non-Fiction: Christianity. Paperback from Thomas Nelson Publishers. Published in 2003. 240 pages. Purchased at Family Christian Bookstores.

This one has been on my "to read" list for a while. I had put it on hold at the library, then while I was waiting for it to arrive, we talked about it at church in the Wednesday night teen class. After the glowing report the teacher gave the book, I gave up on waiting for it and went and bought it. It was not at the top of my to read pile but was getting close. Today it catapulted to the top by virtue of being the only book I had along when I was stuck at the Cleveland airport for five hours.

The book reads like a narrative conversation. Just a guy being honest about the things he's experienced in his walk toward God. He's got some good things to say. I especially liked the story about confessing sins, and the chapter on Belief really resonated with me. Chapter 12 on Church: How I Go Without Getting Angry told me some things I needed to hear, too. It is not a difficult read at all. I finished it sitting in Cleveland. But, just because it reads quickly does not mean I don't think it has some important things to say.

Publisher's summary:
"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. . . . I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened." In Donald Miller's early years, he was vaguely familiar with a distant God. But when he came to know Jesus Christ, he pursued the Christian life with great zeal. Within a few years he had a successful ministry that ultimately left him feeling empty, burned out, and, once again, far away from God. In this intimate, soul-searching account, Miller describes his remarkable journey back to a culturally relevant, infinitely loving God.

Online book shopping:
Powell's: Blue Like Jazz
amazon.co.uk:Blue Like Jazz
amazon.com: Blue Like Jazz
Audible.com: Not available as audio from Audible

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear a lot a bout this Jesus. Is like a santa or fairy for the children?

kelly said...

thought i might make a book suggestion. in the same vein as Miller's work is a book called Jesus in the Margins by Rick McKinley. seeing as you are a book lover, check it out. blessings~