20 February 2005

BookCrossing.com

bookcrossing:
n. the practice of leaving a book in a public place to be picked up and read by others, who then do likewise.

I stumbled across the BookCrossing web site today and am very intrigued by the idea of leaving books to be found and read by others. Here's what they say are the

"3 Rs" of BookCrossing...

1. Read a good book (you already know how to do that)
2. Register it on BookCrossing.com (along with your journal comments), get a unique BCID (BookCrossing ID number), and label the book
3. Release it for someone else to read (give it to a friend, leave it on a park bench, donate it to charity, "forget" it in a coffee shop, etc.), and get notified by email each time someone comes to BookCrossing.com and records journal entries for that book. And if you make Release Notes on the book, others can Go Hunting for it and try to find it!

I think I may just give it a try and see what happens. The biggest obstacle will be making myself give up a book though. If I manage to find one to leave out to be found, I'll post about it here.

No comments: