06 April 2006

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

Fiction: Classic American Literature. Audiobook from Recorded Books. Originally published in 1967, recorded in 2003. 10 hours, 41 minutes. Read by Jonathan Davis. Purchased from Audible.com.

I don't know where I got the idea that I should read this book, and at first I was not sure it was a good choice. The book begins with a baseball game - one that I thought would never end. I realized later on in the book why the game was described in-depth and it made sense. There was a point however where I was ready to give up for waiting for the ball game to be over. Wow. I'm glad I did not capitulate to the feeling. This is a very good book.

Publisher's summary:
Though they've lived their entire lives less than five blocks from each other, Reuven Malter and Danny Saunders exist in very different worlds. Reuven blends easily into both his secular Jewish faith and his typical American teen life, while Danny's conservative Hasidic clothes and appearance make him stick out in any crowd. Their improbable friendship teaches them that the differences separating people through cultures and generations are never as great as they seem.

Online book shopping:
Powell's: The Chosen
amazon.co.uk: The Chosen
amazon.com: The Chosen
Audible.com: The Chosen

No comments: