24 April 2006

TV Turn-off Week

24 - 30 April 2006

Why Turn off the TV?
Television cuts into family time, harms our children's ability to read and succeed in school, and contributes to unhealthy lifestyles and obesity. Here are just a few of the facts:

- On average, children in the US will spend more time in front of the television (1,023 hours) than in school this year (900 hours).
- Forty percent of Americans frequently or always watch television during dinner.
- As US Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher said at the Kick Off of TV-Turnoff Week 2001, "We are raising the most overweight generation of youngsters in American history...This week is about saving lives."

For more information visit: TV Turn-off Network

5 comments:

Clint said...

boy, i am glad i'm not a kid!

reJoyce said...

It was interesting to me that most of the material on the TV Turn Off site was directed at the ill effects on kids. Here's a fact for grown-ups:

Married people who have a TV in the bedroom have less sex.

I didn't find that one on the TV Turn Off site, BTW. Maybe they should add it if they want to encourage adults to turn the TV off!

Clint said...

just my luck

happytheman said...

single people with a TV in their room have less sex then married people with a TV in their room too.

But I don't have a TV in my room, only in the living room and I don't have sex there either.

But I did give up TV for Lent it was awesome.

reJoyce said...

LOL. Okay. Useless stat for Happy. It was worth a shot.

I gave up DP for Lent. That was quite the challenge for me.