03 August 2005

I Told the Mountain to Move by Patricia Raybon

Non-Fiction. Hardback from Salt River. Published in 2005. On loan from the Cascade Public Library.

I saw this book advertised in a magazine and thought I might like to read it. I wasn't sure I wanted to buy it, so I checked our library web site and discovered that I was able to get it through the interlibrary loan program.

Some books on prayer leave me a bit irritated. I've never been to impressed with books that seem to me to be telling the reader that if they just follow steps 1, 2 and 3 then God will answer all of their prayers. So, it is always with a bit of trepidation that I open a book on prayer. Fortunately, this book was nothing like that. Patricia Raybon is obviously a woman who has done a lot of reading on prayer as the book the liberally sprinkled with quoted wisdom from writers like Richard Foster, Oswald Chambers, and Andrew Murray (plus many others). Written in a narrative style, for the most part the "bits of widsom" flowed smoothly into the story. There were a couple of times when it seemed like she was gone off on a tangent and I wondered when she would get back to the topic at hand, but it was not bad at all. There is much to deliberate on in this book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Publisher's summary:
Raised in a strict, church-going family, award-winning writer Patricia Raybon was shocked to find herself struggling in adulthood with a lifeless marriage and an unsettling distance from God. She set out to rebuild her prayer life, searching for a connection that would transform her household and impact others. But as her prayer journey took off, life interrupted with a mountain of hard, personal challenges. Suddenly in the "school of prayer," the Christopher Award-winner and popular college professor found herself not only on her knees praying, but at her desk--writing this powerful, inspiring, funny, personal, brave, redemptive account of her quest to rediscover, in the midst of modern-day challenges, God's greatest lesson on life-changing prayer.

To buy from amazon.co.uk, click here: I Told the Mountain to Move
from amazon.com, click here: I Told The Mountain To Move

No comments: