03 October 2005

ALA's Banned Book Week

Oh, I know. I missed it. Banned Book Week was last week. I was perusing the ALA's web site though and came across a couple of quotes from J. K. Rowling I wanted to share. First on the subject of her books promoting witchcraft:

I have met thousands of children now, and not even one time has a child come up to me and said, "Ms. Rowling, I'm so glad I've read these books because now I want to be a witch."

And, secondly a bit of wisdom about banning anything comes from Rowling via Hermione, speaking to Harry in the book The Order of the Pheonix,

If she could have done one thing to make absolutely sure every single person in this school will read your interview, it was banning it!

Check out the ALA's page for more quotes and other info about Banned Book Week.

Oh, and for an interesting article about banning by omission, check out this post on Get Religion.

No comments: